Sunday, November 13, 2011

Homemade Halloween Costumes

So I know Halloween was 2 weeks ago, but I wanted to share our homemade costumes. I love DIY. I'm all about using things we already have to create something you can find in store-but better and cheaper. Trey asked to be Woody for Halloween. Okay, cool. We went to Walmart and Target and found this Woody costume.


For $33! I don't know about you, but I definitely didn't want to spend that much on a cheapie one piece costume with sweat-prone fabric. Of course, I immediately started thinking of all the things I have in my home that could be used to create a Woody costume on the cheap. Trey already had boots and a gun and holster. I had a long sleeved button down (orange at that, haha!) that Trey used under a vest last Thanksgiving. I planned on dying that a golden color with some fabric dye which I found for $1.99 at Walmart. I also found a cowboy accessory set at Walmart in the Halloween department for $5. It came with a hat, sheriff badge, red bandanna and belt buckle.


Now, onto the "how to."

  • Follow instructions on your fabic dye packaging and dye your plain button shirt.
  •  When it's dyed and dried, iron it and lay it as flat as you can get it on a hard surface. Insert a cardstock paper (or any other thick paper/cardboard) into the shirt so the fabric pen does not bleed through. 
  • Use your ruler and red fabric marker and draw lines all over the shirt. I looked at Trey's Woody doll for guidance.








It all came out better than I had expected and we spent less than $10 on his costume and nothing on ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment