Thursday, September 26, 2013

Independent Learning Activity Ideas/Some Montessori

As we all know, every child is unique, therefore every child has a unique way of learning. Trey is definitely not a "sit down and do worksheets" learner. He is more of the hands-on type who learns best through life experiences. Because of this,  we don't follow one particular curriculum or schedule. I use a mix of Montessori shelf work, workbooks, hands-on projects and games and a little traditional learning type work as well as 20 minutes of ABC mouse 3x a week. I will post photos below of Trey doing some of his Independent Learning Activities as well as explain what they are and how we do them.

Here he is doing some of the Montessori shelf work I downloaded for FREE from the lovely Jady at Earth Schooling. Check her blog out, she has the most awesome ideas for Montessori activities.

Phonics/Language
I printed these out and laminated the tiles and the cards. I placed them on a cookie sheet and Trey takes it to the table where he starts matching the letter tiles to the letters on the cards. Since there are pictures on the cards, he knows what the word says. I have him sound each letter out while placing them in the correct spot as well as read the finished word.




Sensorial/Fine Motor Skills
This is always fun for Trey to do. After I printed the worksheet out and placed it in a clear page protector to keep it safe from the play-doh. He does his best to roll out the dough and follow the shapes.



Math/Counting
I really love how this activity not only ensures Trey recognizes the numbers, but it teaches him the quantity as well. He simply chooses one of the laminated number tiles and places it in the top box of the worksheet. He then drops a cube into each space until he reaches the number shown on the tile.



Practical Life
I made this one up on my own. I printed a free shoe clip art on white cardstock then cut it out and laminated it. Punched the holes for laces and threaded old shoe laces into the tops two holes. I then watched Trey lace the shoe and try to tie it. He's not there yet, but that's what practice is for:)



I will be posting part 2 ( and 3,4,5, etc) as we go. Have a nice day!

-tishaandtrey


No comments:

Post a Comment